Sunday, September 23, 2012

Final Proposal

For my final project, I will study and present on the Ewe tribe of western Ghana.  In this project, I will report primarily on the drum orchestra, focusing on the complex cross-rhythym, instruments use, and the interaction between their music and their traditional dance.  A specific type of music, I will focus on is the Agbadza genre, which was played as war songs about heroism and death, but later transformed into contemporary funeral music.  I will also write about how this change occurred.  I will also focus on the influences of Ewe music, traditions and religions that affect how, when, and where the music is played.  If I have time, I might research on missionaries that visited Ghana and how there beliefs and teachings were received by the natives and how they influenced their music.

In order to research this topic I will search articles about the instruments and find audios of Agbadza.  Also, I will use books such as "Study in African Music" by A.M. Jones and " Principles of Off-BEat Timing and Cross-Rythym in Southern Ewe Dance Drumming by David Locke, which are amiable online.  




2 comments:

  1. I think this is a really interesting idea because you will almost have a chance to follow a tribe through history. Here are a few thoughts/questions that may help: What historical events influenced their music leading to the change? What other genres/cultures effected their music or dance?

    I feel like you might have the chance to even explain how their music came about. Perhaps research the origin of their tribe? How long can it be traced back in history? When did its music start to develop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very well organized project proposal, I look forward to seeing the final project. Some things I would like to see are maybe briefly covering a wide variety of genres within the Ewe tribe, not necessarily just the Agbadza. I also agree with Aran and tracing how Ewe music came to be would be really cool and also help put your more recent research into perspective

    ReplyDelete